Ever wanted to see how the end-to-end encryption works without writing any code? Virgil Security E2EE Demo will help you with that in a few simple steps!
What is E2EE used for:
- encrypt and sign messages to be transmitted
- identify the sender/receiver
- decrypt the message and verify its signature to prove that the message has not been tampered with.
How to get the demo working?
Register at the Dashboard
First of all, you'll need to sign up at Virgil Dashboard or sign in if you already have an account. It won't take too long.
Create an Application
After you've signed in, click the "Create Application" button, name your Application and choose "End-to-End Encryption" use-case. Click "Create Application" in the bottom of the page:
Try JS Demo
After that you will meet the following page:
Go through the tutorial
- To launch the demo, you'll need to download it first. You can do it by downloading a ZIP archive of the project and unzip it or cloning it from the GitHub. It runs on Node.js, so get the latest version if you don't have one.
- Next, download your config file:
config.jsonfile into the root folder of the demo project you've downloaded earlier:
config.json file must contains the following parameters inside:
"API_KEY": "YOU API KEY",
"API_KEY_ID": "YOUR API KEY ID",
"APP_ID": "YOUR APP ID"
- Run Demo
In this step you'll need to type some commands in a program which depends on the platform you use:
- Mac OS - using either Terminal or iTerm
- Windows - using Command Prompt (cmd.exe)
- Linux - using Terminal
Go to the folder (encryption-demo-js) of JS Demo using Terminal/cmd command
cd and run the following commands:
for example on Mac OS it works like this:
- Open http://localhost:3000/ in your browser and enjoy the demo!
Demo page has the following view:
– Something's gone wrong. What should I do?
– I've skipped the tutorials page not purposely and can't find how to download config file. Can I run it again?
Yes, but only by creating a new application. But don't worry, you don't necessarily need to do that - you can complete the tutorial by using this guide!